Echoes

Saturday, October 11, 2003


Dreamz Unlimited

Having left the office at 2.30 in the morning, I reached my home at 2.45 and promptly took the Perry Mason and started reading. It was 4 in the morning by the time I finished the book, and wound up the day for a nice long sleep.

I was travelling in a train - packed with people of all kinds and sizes, filling every inch of space in that packed-to-the brim concentration camp. It is presently going through a dark tunnel. The air filled with fear and excitement; people talking in whispers and parents holding onto their children in tight grips; the faces displaying horrid expectations. I just can't understand what or why. I started walking, through a sea of arms and legs which in normal circumstances would've been called the corridor. As the train came out of the tunnel, light started pouring into the windows. And then as I was feeling a little cheerful, it all started happening at once. Rocks started rolling down from the mountain wall adjoining the track, people started swaying inside the train, the whole world seemed to be put on a cradle, and it dawned on me that I was in the middle of an earthquake!! I didn't know whether to be excited about this novel experience, or to be panicked! I just kept on walking, rather staggering, pushing aside the falling bodies. The next immediate moment everything seemed normal, except that people seemed to be collected in groups with some injured or deceased member in the middle. Some of them seemed to be wailing, but the sound didn't reach my ear. I was walking in a daze. There were people whom I knew - a cousin, a colleague, a cine actress of yesteryears (somehow heroines just can't stay away from my dreams!) - a truly varied collection of people, with no reason for them to be there in that train (that, in fact, is the best part of dreams)! And after some gap in space and time, I was swimming in a large tank by the side of the road, either to save myself or someone else........

I was woken up then, somewhere around 10.30 or so, by my considerate roommate who thinks excess sleep is injurious to others' health. After plaintively appealing to his better senses, that I'd hardly slept for 6 and half hours, he allowed me to catch my beauty sleep and hold on to it for a couple of hours before snatching it for the day at 12:30. And two hours later, I landed in the office again and was caught here for the past 5 hours!! Need to head back home, sigh!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home