Echoes

Wednesday, October 08, 2003


Home Alone - starring myself

Had a lot of free time at my home during the four days I stayed at home, as my friend, who generally sticks like glue to me (I don't mean it derisively) when I come home, had to leave on an unplanned tour. Thus my timetable was more or less simplified to - playing AOQ on my comp, watch TV, read a book for sometime - and the cycle continues.

I took Terry Pratchett's 'Mort' (or more appropriately MORT, as one guy suggests - read it to find y) along with me to read in my journey. But with the advantages listed out in my last post associated with a bus journey, I found it hard to concentrate on any such less pressing matters. So I took the task up in the more danger-free precincts of my home and completed it in considerably quick time. And Pratchett really deserves all the rave reviews (that prompted me to read his output - Mort is my first Pratchett) which came his way. He has a distinct sense of humour not unlike that of Douglas Adams. One striking similarity I found between these two is the true eccentricity and originality in the names of the places or people in their plots. I guess that is true in case of most fantasy writers - the greatest of them all J R R Tolkiens ( I must say that Rowling comes nowhere close to these authors).

Immediately after finishing 'Mort', I spotted a Perry Mason lying around, which my good friend had left for me to read. In fact I've been waiting to read a Perry Mason for a long time and this proved to be the most oppurtune moment. I duly tucked into with diligence and Gardner didn't disappoint me. It's as racy as a Holmes story and concisely written with gripping dialogues. I think I read some 100 pages in one day, a record of sorts for me, but couldn't complete the book at home. And look at my misfortune - I haven't been able to lay my hands on it since I landed back in town! It's 12 midnight and here I am putting the office resources to best possible utilization :) Gotta go home and catch my beauty sleep.

Ohh..I almost forgot. Yesterday too I had to spend best part of the night at the office and when I had expected to sleep like a log after that, I was rudely woken up at 5 in the morning by I-dunno-what! Hunger, it must be. And so took an apple and completed one chapter in that Mason as well as the apple and went back to sleep :) (so, my earlier statement that I didn't touch the book after landing is not entirely true!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home