Echoes

Monday, December 01, 2003


Herr Herriot

I visited the second-hand book sales, which is held every Sunday here, and picked up two books - 'Colour of the Wind' by Terry Pratchett and 'Little Nugget' by P G Wodehouse, each for 50 bucks. A pretty good deal, I must say. Though I used to buy at least one book every week during my initial visits to this Sunday market, of late it had been getting more and more difficult to spot useful ones. And the sellers are turning out to be tough nuts to crack - simply no bargaining for Wodehouses. They must have realized that Plummies will buy for any price they name, albeit with some grumbling. Sheesh! But whatever be said against it, this is one place where I landed some prize catches, which are out of print now.

Btw, I started reading 'The Lord God Made Them All' by James Herriott. This is my second Herriott and that too after a loooong time. This is one author who knows how to narrate stories. They most resemble, for me, the granny stories, where everything ends happily, with the right amount of humour in between. He does not have the literary genius of Wodehouse, but somehow his books are simply 'unputdownable'! Weekends fly by if you have a Herriott in hand. Before you realize you'd have finished 40-50 pages in one sitting.

Btw, who was that new NDTV correspondent in Delhi? She looks cute ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home