Echoes

Friday, October 17, 2003


F.R.I.E.N.D.S

I'm sorta missing FRIENDS these days - Phoebe's insane ramblings, Rachel's cute looks, Ross's imbecile face and most of all, Joey's scholarly, often gross, comments! Though Chandler and Monica are a bit less eccentric, and hence do not quite fit into the group, but they constitute the necessary support group. Where else would you find such a bunch of individuals, each insane in their own way?

All that aside, I'd watched the last episode of Season 8 last year, where Joey breaks it to Ross that his (Joey's, not Ross's) latest heart-throb is his (Ross's, not Joey's) ex-fiancée, their mutual friend Rachel. And I've been dying of suspense since then - what happened after that? How did Ross react to that? Did Joey ever get to reveal this to Rachel (remember, she was pregnant with Ross's child at that time :))? If yes, how did she react?

This sunday, as I was leisurely switching the channels on the TV, I chanced upon an episode of FRIENDS on Zee English, almost nearing the end. I managed to catch a bit, where Joey was kneeling, with a ring in his hand, before Rachel, who was still in her maternity clothes sitting in a hospital bed (she just delivered Ross's baby)! I didn't understand if he was proposing to her or just enacting some scene or just fooling her, as was his wont. Can some kind soul tell me if he had finally done it and the reaction of Rachel, and put me out of the misery?

Though I am one of those, who thoroughly despice the soap operas, that infest the Hindi as well as the regional language channels, where the actors and actresses seem to be paid according to the buckets of tears they shed, I didn't find this kind of sentimentalist romance in the normally hilarious show objectionable, because the director/screenplay wright never lost sight of the main objective of the show i.e., to amuse the audience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home