Echoes

Wednesday, October 29, 2003


Guilty Cover-ups?

I keep a small crystal figurine of a horse standing, with its two front legs in air, on a pedestal, in front of my computer to give some aesthetic outlook to my dull workplace, often littered with lots of papers and scribblings. The office boys who clean the desks, after the departure of the employees, often misplace or manhandle it. It was often found lying on its side some few feet away on the desk from my computer. The horse bore all this with great fortitude, in spite of its inherent fragility, and nary a crack appeared. That is, till few days back, when one of my friends came to my workplace, and while idly chatting, had started playing with it. Then.....oops....crackle..off went the horse from its base pedestal! After the customary apologies given and accepted, he managed to place the horse gingerly back on the pedestal. For all outer inspections, the piece is as good as an unbroken one. And now, the interesting part is, since then, I always find the figurine in erect position near my computer, though not exactly in the same location! :-)

Almost the same thing happened in one episode of F.R.I.E.N.D.S. Rachel breaks the back of Joey's favourite chair (which was given a name also, by Joey, which I don't remember right now), and she promises him a brand new chair in place of that old one. And after some time, Chandler comes to Joey's apartment and sits in the chair and discovers that the back is broken. Assuming it to be his mistake, he thinks of replacing this with a brand new one before anyone even realizes his mistake. And guess what, when Joey returns to his apartment, he finds two brand new chairs, apart from his old broken one!!

Not that I'm in the same position as Joey, as I didn't receive the original replacement for the broken piece, let alone a second lucky one! But you do see some similarities, don't you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home