Echoes

Monday, May 03, 2004

Just a thought

In life, like coin, everything has a flipside. Shortcomings are the necessary baggage to be carried for anything you choose! Nothing comes exclusively with the qualities you desire.

For years I wanted to raise a puppy once I became independent. I loved dogs -- just for their unwavering love and unquestioning loyalty. No matter what, you are always made to feel welcome at home with its waving tail and happy yelps. And with a dog in the house you can never get bored. Sometimes (in fact, most of the times) I prefer this dumb animal as a companion to any talking thing.

Now that I am independent and can do whatever I want (sort of), the desire arose once again after seeing the recent Raymonds' ad. But this time it also brought the underlying and previously overlooked obligations of such a proposal. I need to walk along with it with a tray in hand, cleaning the place up as it keeps consecrating it (at least as a puppy), bathe it regularly, take care of its hygiene -- all these things I have no problem in doing but the only constraint being the ever scarce time. With me at the office for most part of the day, I can't see myself devoting enough time for it. But I surely will get a puppy, if not now, later!

Come to think of it, I think the above paragraph applies to even one's loved ones! I don't believe in perfect match -- you can have most of the interests in common but compromises have to be made in at least a few aspects. Probably the success of a love depends not on how much you have in common but on how well you accomodate the differences.

I WILL get a puppy! (repeat chorus)