Echoes

Sunday, April 11, 2004

Breaking The Break

It was quite some time, in fact close to 40 days, since I wrote anything here. March had been a jam-packed month with lots of travel, tension and fun. It could change my life or .... at least for another year ... not! Please watch this space for more information in the coming weeks.

Have you ever been cooped up in a small room with just one small circular window high up in the wall being your only connection to the outside world? Well I have endured just that for over 1 week, when I visited my sister in Bangalore. I've often heard of savage convicts coming out as crazy lunatics after serving their prison term, and I can now perfectly empathise with them. May be it's too much to say that "I've turned over a new leaf" or even "I'm a different Man now", but I took a strong decision NOT to get caught if ever I commit a crime! Seven days in itself was close to Hell, I just can't imagine living in a single closed cell for 14 goddam years. I'd prefer a death sentence over a life sentence any day!

The only companion (all prisoners do seem to have one) that provided some solace during those Dark Days was the radio - with two (good?) FM channels. While one streamed (and repeated endlessly) the current popular indi-pop songs, the other played some vintage Hindi movie songs. Me not complaining - something is better than nothing. Btw VJing or RJing seem to have become synonymous to gibberings of a gibbon with its ass on a frying pan. I mean, they talk at breakneck speeds with little attention to clarity or sense.

The Great Indian Tamasha is round the corner and the idiot box is full of idiots talking on/about/for/against it. There are Numbers sprayed all over the screen with some of them foolishly sitting on, what looked like, buildings dotting a city's skyline while some of them enjoying themselves playing with a broken dart-board. All in all they seem to be having fun and that's what is important. It's not very often that Numbers enjoy this much of coverage on prime-time television and I don't mind them living out their short-lived glory.