Echoes

Sunday, November 02, 2003


Lacking in spine?

Flashback! Flashback! Remember how Azhar and Jadeja were unceremoniously dropped from the ad-campaigns, when the match-fixing scandal first came to light? I'm not blaming the companies, coz no product would want to be associated with a tainted sportster. But then, shouldn't the same sense of guilt afflict the cricketers/filmstars who now vociferously campaign for some tainted companies? Shouldn't they have quietly cancelled their contracts rather than exhort the people to drink more and more of the soft drinks? They could have simply told the companies that they would not want to advertise for companies which play fast and loose with millions of people's health. Hey, that's expecting little too much. I wouldn't want to cancel a contract, which religiously adds millions of rupees to my purse every year, would I? Besides, with government itself shamelessly doling out waivers to celebrities, it would be harsh to ask the role models to let go of the inconveniently large pay packets.

What sparked this thought (though a little late)? I was having my dinner in the cafetaria on Friday evening, when a foreigner came and sat on a table, few feet away from me. He was sipping from a Pepsi can - no doubt heeding to warnings not to drink sewage disguised as drinking water in India. Little did he know that he was drinking nothing better! I thought of going upto him and asking "Pal, do you think a little more DDT would add to the taste?", but restrained myself. After all, we need to build our immunity and the only way to do that is to drink more of it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home